POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : #error bug : Re: #error bug Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:14:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #error bug
From: Rune
Date: 20 Oct 2001 20:57:55
Message: <3bd21d93@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" wrote:
> "Rune" wrote:
>
> > So that must be a bug?
>
> No, because the documentation never says that the
> #error string is printed to the #error stream

Yes it does.

"There are seven distinct text streams that POV-Ray uses for output. You may
output only to three of them."

Look, no matter how you put it there is a bug*, and not just in the
documentation.

If the error directive is supposed to only accept quoted text, but not
pre-defined strings, then there's a bug because it does accept pre-defined
strings.

If the error directive is supposed to accept any string, including
pre-defined strings, then there's a bug because the string is not used for
anything at all, and thus the user don't see the string.

> Oh, and note that the error message is actually displayed
> once already in the line showing with the #error directive...

Not if the error message is a pre-defined string.

* Of course I don't have the final saying in this, but I haven't yet seen
any arguments that indicate otherwise.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)